Thursday, January 4, 2018

Introduction

Howdy! My name is Christian Roberts and I am a currently a senior Economics major at Texas A&M. Originally from Dallas, Texas, I got into nature my senior year of high school when I went with my grandmother to the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska for a week of fishing, hiking, and exploring. Among the many incredible sights that hooked me, I saw moose, sea otters, Steller Sea Lions, Orcas, Humpback Whales, and many other sightings that you just don't get in Texas. I was not a birder back then, but do remember seeing thousands of Common Murres, Tufted and Horned Puffins, and Bald Eagles. Now that I am a birder I looked at eBird and my heart sank as I saw all of the incredible things I missed, like Common Loons, Harlequin Ducks, etc. Oh well, guess I'll have to go back!

Coming back to Dallas the summer after my freshman year of college I started to realize how amazing the Texas outdoors were, primarily right in the middle of the city. After doing my exploring I began to look for the abundant nature, but large mammals like deer or coyotes, or reptiles like gators and snakes were hard to come by. The birds were everywhere. So many different species were present, even though I did not know them. In addition, I worked at White Rock Lake, and before of after my shift I would kayak up White Rock Creek and listen to the symphony of bird sounds. I was hooked.

I started this blog because I want to spread the joys of birding. Discovering this passion has changed my life. I spend way too much time checking eBird, I dream at night of chasing rarities, and I constantly bother my friends about getting up at the crack of dawn to go bird with me. Being a novice birder (I got my first pair of binoculars Christmas of 2015) I don't know the ins and outs of birding, the good spots, and I have had to learn many things on my own, or other people have taught me invaluable nuggets of wisdom that I could have never learned by myself. Birding with Christian is an attempt to pay that forward. Ideally this blog will have trip reviews, book reviews, tips, and everything in between.

Thanks, and happy birding!

Christian Roberts

1 comment:

Rarity Chasing in the Rio Grande Valley

A little life update: I got a new job! With a few weeks between my start dates, it was time to celebrate with some birding! The offer was fo...