Monday, May 28, 2018

Second Chance


I missed the Golden-cheeked Warbler when we went to South Llano River State Park. The birds breed in the Hill Country and only in the Hill Country, and due to their preference of Ashe Junipers they are a little tough to find. Due to specific habitat preferences, the Golden-cheeked Warbler became endangered as its habitat was cleared for development. Parasitism by Brown-headed Cowbirds have also done a number on their populations.

I got a chance to go see them yesterday.

Denio Creek
I always associated these birds with Austin because of Balcones Canyonlands NWR. The North-central Texas Bird Alert Facebook group had some reported at Meridian, Cleburne, and Dinosaur Valley State Park, but I didn't think they breed there. I wanted to go to Dinosaur Valley SP to check out the dinosaur tracks, and it's only an hour and a half drive from Dallas. The clincher was that Golden-cheeked Warbler actually breeds there, and it looked as close to automatic as it could get. They are one of the first birds to migrate in and the first to leave, and they'll go silent in the next 2 weeks I would think before leaving.

I got there around 9:00, later than I was hoping, and park was packed. Everyone goes there to swim in the Paluxy River and its swimming hole. Fortunately the trails I needed weren't too bad. The 2 best trails for Golden-cheeked Warbler are Cedar Ridge and Denio Creek. Both are perfect habitat, and within 5 minutes on Denio Creek I heard one. I thought I had a fleeting glimpse of one, and I actually attempted to follow it off the trail, but it stopped singing once I got close. I didn't see it, but it saw me. I don't count heard only lifers outside of owls, nightjars, and rails so it didn't count for me.

View when you first get on the trail
 At this point it was HOT. I was pouring sweat, and the trail maps were labeled in a weird way, so at 11:30 I was just getting on the Cedar Ridge. You might get a warbler on Denio Creek, you'll more than likely get one on Cedar Ridge. The heat and time of day made it less and less likely one would sing. The trees were so dense that you pretty much have to hear one to locate it.

Painted Buntings were the bird of the day, even more numerous than Cardinals. Of course I only heard them because it was so dense. I heard another Golden-cheeked on Cedar Ridge, and I've never been so stealthy off the trail in my life. I got so close, and then it went silent, no way could I find it now. A third called on the trail, but once again it was too far off the trail and it quickly stopped singing.

At this point I was sad, mad, and hot. I only hiked 3 miles, but I was pouring sweat, and I had hardly eaten anything all day. I didn't realize it, but the temperature was in triple digits as well. I just wanted to get off the trail and go home.

There is an overlook at the end of the trail, and I thought I'd stop and take a look to at least get a good view out of the hike. I got more than a good view. As I sat on the bench I heard some double chipping calls. Normally, I associate chipping with Cardinals, but this was no Cardinal chip. I remembered the sound from when I listed to Golden-cheeked calls. I literally crawled on my hands and knees under a tree, and I saw 2! The birds were darting around, and I got solid looks at them. I have never felt so relieved. My mood changed instantaneously, and I sat for about 20 minutes watching them flit around. They made me work it, but it was 110% worth it. I had Black-and-white Warbler calling on my way out, but I was too tired to look for it. Those birds are so elusive because they're small, black and white, and they love the shadows. Awesome bird to see, but I was wiped out.
Golden-cheeked Warbler. It's not a good picture, but you can clearly tell what it is!
I had to stop by the track sites, which are amazing and worth a trip of their own, but that really is better thing to do in the winter when there are less people and the heat isn't miserable. Dinosaur Valley is an incredible park. The trails aren't well marked but they offer stunning views, and then the tracks on the other side of the park are a must see. This is an incredible state park and it is absolutely worth a visit.
Sauropod tracks at Dinosaur Valley State Park



Birding wise this park isn't all that great. I wouldn't bird here if they didn't have Golden-cheeked Warbler. Black-capped Vireo hasn't nested there in a while but apparently it has in the past. The chance to get those 2 species make it worth it to stop by here, but earlier in the spring is a better bet. 

Birders are more likely to see these moving forward. Texas has done a fantastic job at protecting and restoring habitat. A biologist I know told mentioned in passing that he thinks they could even be delisted soon. From the numbers I've seen they've definitely been making a recovery. Black-capped Vireo has made miraculous recovery as well, and with its apparent delisting upcoming they could return to the park as well.

238 year birds down, only 62 to go before I hit my goal of 300!

More dinosaur tracks





No comments:

Post a Comment

Rarity Chasing in the Rio Grande Valley

A little life update: I got a new job! With a few weeks between my start dates, it was time to celebrate with some birding! The offer was fo...