Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Rio Grande Valley Day 1: Weslaco

I have been craving a long birding trip for months. Originally the plan was to go to Guadalupe Mountains National Park, but unfortunately plans fell through. I would have had to go alone, and that's not real safe in the cold mountains of West Texas. But there was one place I wanted to go that is always birdy: the Rio Grande Valley. It would be a 3.5 day trip. Day 1 was at Estero Llano Grande State Park and Frontera Audubon Center.
The abundant Green Jay is one of the most stunning birds in Texas
Estero Llano Grande is my personal favorite places in the state to bird. It's probably the most diverse place habitat wise and you'll get most Rio Grande Valley specialties. I set out at about 8:00 and was immediately rewarded. The pond in front of the visitors center is full of waterfowl and shorebirds. There are a few ponds throughout the park that are full of birds. Black-bellied Whistling Duck is abundant, but mixed in were plenty of Fulvous, a lifer for me. Mottled Duck, Blue-winged Teal, and Cinnamon Teal were also present. A walk along the ridge brought in tons of various swallows migrating and White-tailed Kites, which are pretty reliable in the right place.
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (L) next to a Fulvous Whistling-Duck (R)
The area is also fantastic for migrants this time of year. A mixed flock of warblers brought in Nashville, Magnolia, Black-thoated Green, Black-and-White, Tennessee, Northern Parula, and even an American Redstart! The blind in the tropical area also had both Kingbirds, Curve-billed and Long-billed Thrasher, Bewick's Wren, and Olive Sparrow.
Clay-colored Thrush used to be very rare in the RGV but they have become extremely common over the years.

The highlight of the day was arguably the hardest bird to find in the valley. They are pretty common, but extremely elusive because they blend in with the dirt and shadows. Common Paraque is impossible to see if you don't know where to look, and then it's almost pure luck. And pure luck is what I had. At the first stop I made I scoured the ground and could not see a thing. Then I took a step and jumped out of my skin. I nearly stepped on one! I only saw a quick gray flash before it settled down and I couldn't see a thing. Colima Warbler may be the biggest physical challenge in the state, but Common Paraque is the hardest to see even when it's right in front of you.
Can you see it? It's a Common Paraque

By the time I left for lunch I picked up 75 species in 4 hours! We're definitely in the neotropical zone! Next stop, Frontera Audubon.

Frontera is right down the street. It's habitat is pretty much the same all around, but it looked like a great place to spend the afternoon. It did not disappoint. The thicket is Tamaulipan Thornscrub, perfect for Rio Grande Valley specialties. It's also just a really peaceful place that is great for an afternoon walk and it's really calming. Pretty much all RGV specialties from Estero Llano Grande were present, but Clay-colored Thrush was extremely common, and Buff-bellied Hummingbirds got right up in my face. The large hummingbirds are a captivating bright green. Great Kiskadees and Plain Chachalacas were very cooperative, and the feeding stations and pond benches get you close to the birds. I came before it gets really busy, the winter Texans were still migrating and they normally stock the feeders, but I can tell that when it's poppin the birds are out there in full force.
Black-crested Titmouse
The perfect end to the day came at one of those ponds. I was beat, and I decided to check out this one pond before I left. One of the best pieces of birding advice I was given was "birds are tired when it's hot in the afternoon. They're like us, they want to chill with a cool glass of water." The pond was somewhat birdy with migrants, and I thought I saw a wren bouncing around near the water, a little out of character for a wren to be on the water's edge. But it was something better than a wren. The tail bobbing that is similar to a wren's was actually a LIFER NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH! An insane and clutch find, I didn't think I had a chance to see one to close out the year. What a perfect way to end the day.
Plain Chachalaca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rarity Chasing in the Rio Grande Valley

A little life update: I got a new job! With a few weeks between my start dates, it was time to celebrate with some birding! The offer was fo...