Sunday, January 19, 2020

Galveston Island State Park

My last weekend of the year in Houston was a big one. I was very close to my goal of 300 year birds with a total of 288. The coast has so much species diversity, which makes it the perfect place to snag a few year birds that I was missing.

I woke up early on the morning of the 15th ready to go. It was shaping up to be a nice day, and with good light I held out hope to snag a few great birds that I needed, including a few that I bafflingly missed. My destination was an easy choice: Galveston Island State Park. The park itself is really small, but it has a marsh and a beach, perfect for shorebirds, passerines, and waterfowl. The 2 ideal birds were Seaside and Nelson's Sparrow, 2 birds that are tough to find even in the right habitat. I didn't hold my breath, but I desperately needed others. Somehow I was missing Northern Harrier, and I was also looking for Palm Warbler and Clapper Rail. I was in the perfect habitat for all of them.
White-tailed Kite
The beach was closed due to some construction, and at the visitor center a very helpful ranger told me where to get my 2 sparrows. Really the only trail to take in the park is the Clapper Rail Trail, which is an easy stroll that takes forever because you're stopping to see birds. On my way out of the visitor center I was given great looks at White-tailed Kite and kingbird looking bird. It dawned on me that it was probably Couch's, but I didn't want to stop and figure it out. I figured I could come back later.

Getting on the trail when I did immediately paid off. A Forster's Tern, a year bird that I somehow was missing, flew across the marsh while Pied-billed Grebes and Red-winged Blackbirds occupied their usual spots. Something made me turn around to admire the incredible view, and l was rewarded handsomely. A Clapper Rail had wandered into the open for great looks.
Clapper Rails are normally pretty tough to see. I was able to get a long glimpse of this one.

I crossed another area of the marsh and saw some weird looking wren. Marsh Wren! Another year bird and a pleasant surprise. I would also get a lifer Sedge Wren, another bird I was not expecting. As I rounded the observation in the area where Seaside and Nelson's Sparrows were supposed to be I had plenty of waders and an Eastern Meadowlark. No sparrows besides Savannah unfortunately. Buffleheads were swimming in the bay.

As I started working my way back I stopped to look at another Marsh Wren. A warbler flew in. Eye stripe, yellow on the flanks...PALM WARBLER! Last time I saw one I had fleeting views, but this one was very cooperative. Then all the birds dropped and fell silent. A group of sandpipers scattered. A bird of prey was around, and I looked to the skies and found my nemesis, a Merlin. I have been in the perfect area for years and missed it. Not this time!
Palm Warbler
The island had one last surprise for me. I decided to make one more loop to look for the sparrows, and all of a sudden a ghost shot up. Not a real ghost, but the gray ghost, Northern Harrier. It scared me as it flapped up and glided across the field. I've never been that close to one and I was amazed at how massive they are.

I ended the day with 6 new year birds and 2 lifers, a day that exceeded expectations. I sat at 294 year birds, and with Christmas coming up in Dallas it looked like I would hit my goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rarity Chasing in the Rio Grande Valley

A little life update: I got a new job! With a few weeks between my start dates, it was time to celebrate with some birding! The offer was fo...