Sunday, June 10, 2018

Brazos Bend

It's time to get started on my run to 300. I just finished my first week of work, and I was eager to get out and see the local birds. The original plan was to try WG Jones State Forest, but checking on Birdseye I realized that Prothonotary Warbler was not going to be reliable after June, but the next few weekends I'll traveling, so I had to get it this weekend or risk not getting it at all. I've had a disappointing warbler year, and although Yellow-breasted Chat is gonna be a tough find now, I decided on Brazos Bend.

The main goal was Prothonotary Warbler, but another lifer, Purple Gallinule was an almost guarantee as well. There were also a few year birds out there.

Brazos Bend itself is one of the better state parks, offering unique habitat that I haven't been able to find in Texas. It's a place for gator lovers, there are over 250 6 foot long or more gators in the park, and they are easily seen throughout the park. The trees are the things that catch my eye the most. I feel like I'm deep in the bayou of Louisiana when I hike through there. The park is also great for new outdoorspeople, as it is close to the city, has great facilities, and it still has some wilderness to it.

Absolute unit

It was a humid day, I only could put in about 2.5 hours, and that was enough time to get on the 40 Acre Lake Trail and the Spillway Trail. It had Prothonotary Warbler reliably, and my other goal birds were all around there. Prothonotary Warblers have a call similar to Black-and-White Warbler, but to me it sounds slower and more enunciated. The habitat is perfect for them at Brazos Bend along the Spillway Trail.

Anhinga
On my way there I came across tons of wading birds. Green, Great Blue, and Little Blue Herons were all abundant, as well as Anhinga. White Ibises were wading amongst a few gators as well, but the best lead was a calling Prothonotary Warbler, but it was impossible to locate. I don't count lifers as heard only unless they are owls, rails, or nightjars so I was not going to count it. 

Black-bellied Whistling Ducks flew overhead, alligators swam by me, but the incessant call of the warbler was both frustrating and distracting.  I had an amazing view of alligator walking across the trail, but no warbler. I stayed on the spillway for over an hour, chatting with a park volunteer but always looking. Then it happened. A small bird was flitting around in Spanish Moss, but the bird didn't seem yellow enough. It was definitely yellow enough in the binoculars! Prothonotary Warbler! Before I would leave I'd see another 2. This is the second time I've gotten a warbler late in the trip, developing patience in birding has paid off! 
Little Blue Heron


I'm sitting at 243 on the year now. Can't wait to visit Brazos Bend again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rarity Chasing in the Rio Grande Valley

A little life update: I got a new job! With a few weeks between my start dates, it was time to celebrate with some birding! The offer was fo...