Tuesday, August 21, 2018

WG Jones State Forest/Bear Creek Park

Before I moved to Houston I bought a book that gave birding sites on the Upper Texas Coast. My goal was to hit a new site every other week. The World Cup and a few trips to Dallas and College Station to see family and friends derailed that for a few weeks, but 3 weeks ago I made it out to WG Jones State Forest (a site I put on my summer preview, more on that below) and then I went to a previously unfamiliar place, Bear Creek Park in Katy, on Sunday morning.

WG Jones is a fantastic place to get Red-cockaded Woodpecker, an endangered woodpecker that has fragmented populations across the Southeast. I think Noah Strycker stopped in this forest during his world wide, record breaking big year. The pine forest also is home to all the woodpeckers that spend time in East Texas, including the stunning Red-headed Woodpecker. It also offers a chance to get Brown-headed Nuthatch and Pine Warbler. While the number of species isn't out of this world, the quality if definitely there. 

Of course, I chose to go during the heatwave so I was only out for an hour. I go to the northern area of the forest, where the trail is named after the famous woodpecker. The few times I've been have been during nesting season, so a huge chunk of the trail is closed down to not disturb the birds.
Summer Tanager. This picture was taken at South Llano River State Park.

The hour I was there offered a quick glimpse of a Red-cockaded Woodpecker, which I was able to identify by call before seeing it fly off. I got Red-headed Woodpecker as well, but surprising no nuthatch or Pine Warbler. I'm 0/2 on Brown-headed Nuthatch so far, I may have to add it to the nemesis bird list. On my way out I did get Summer Tanager and Indigo Bunting, but that Red-Cockaded Woodpecker was a summer highlight.

Sunday was a fantastic day as well. I chose this over the coast because I had the chance to snag a waterthrush. Either species would be a year bird for me, but Northern Waterthrush would be a lifer. I also wanted to go after flycatchers that had been seen out there, as well as Pine Warbler.

The park is a great place to bird. There is a 4 mile round trip trail that goes through a variety of habitat. Tufted Titmice chattered overhead and Carolina Chickadees sang, but there was a group of flycatchers darting around that caught my attention.

Empidonax Flycatchers are so tough to ID. You have to look for small details and listen for songs. Song is easy, but in the post breeding season it can be harder to hear calls as they are less frequent. Willow, Alder, and Acadian had all been reported at Bear Creek. I know for sure I saw an Acadian because I noticed an eye ring and it hung out closer to tree tops. I am 99% sure I had Alder as well. They are nearly identical to Willow Flycatcher, and were actually once lumped into the same species. They distinction is Willow's have a "whit" versus the Alder "pip call." The call was more of a pip, and they were hanging out towards the ground, which is typical for them.
Acadian Flycatcher. See why Empids are so hard to identify?

The highlight of the day was when I was crossing the bridge alone the creek. I made some bird real made, and it started calling and flicking its tail. WATERTHRUSH! I snapped a great pic of it and tried to ID it, but given that I've only seen one waterthrush, a Louisiana, and it was from a distance. Initially I was thinking Northern Waterthrush, but after posting looking at a field guide and posting to Texbirds it was clear that it was Louisiana, still a fantastic find. I wasn't expecting to see one this late in the season, although I held out hope. It was great to see that it paid off. What started out as a dismal year is turning out pretty well! 
Louisiana Waterthrush. The fat look of the bird and the eyestripe doesn't narrow, which separates it from Northern Waterthrush.

I ended the day walking through a section of pines. I got Pine Warbler singing way up in the trees, in addition to other woodland birds like Summer Tanager and Red-headed Woodpecker. By that point the heat was getting awful and I had to go, but it was a great day overall, and it put me up to 248 birds on the year. My goal for 300 unfortunately won't hit this summer, but I am optimistic on finishing above that. I would have probably hit 300 had I made it to the valley, but I had to postpone those plans until the fall. That should get me up there, and I'll have a shot at wintering Northern Waterthursh/Yellow-throated Warbler to add to the tally. Next stop is hopefully Texas City to get Magnificent Frigatebirds!
Red-headed Woodpecker. They aren't the most cooperative at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rarity Chasing in the Rio Grande Valley

A little life update: I got a new job! With a few weeks between my start dates, it was time to celebrate with some birding! The offer was fo...